Valerie Fridland: How Sociolinguistics Changes How We React, Interact, Are Perceived in Career +Life
Today we welcome Valerie Fridland, professor of sociolinguistics and at the University of Nevada, Language Expert for Psychology Today, author of upcoming book ‘Like Literally Dude’ which is on all the speech habits we love to hate.
We will be discussing:
- Sociolinguistics and the impact it can have on our daily life.
- The different cultures we have, and way of interpreting comments, even among the different English speaking countries.
- How this can change how we are perceived in business and impact our achievements.
- How language can have different interpretations for professional women compared to men and whether this is true.
- How, as women, we can use linguistics to enhance our progress.
More about my guest – Valerie Fridland:
Dr. Valerie Fridland is a professor of sociolinguistics and the former director of English graduate studies at the University of Nevada in Reno. Studying the science and culture behind the way we speak, her work receives support from both the National Endowment for the Humanities and the National Science Foundation. In addition to academic books and articles, she writes regularly for the popular Grammar Girl podcast and contributes a monthly blog on language to Psychology Today.
Currently, she is working on a pop linguistics book, I Hate When You Say That!, for Viking/Penguin Press that uncovers the surprising history and purpose behind all the speech habits we love to hate, coming out in Spring 2023.
You can also sometimes catch her appearing as an expert for The Lisa Show, The Mentor Project, CBS news, The Nation and Newsy’s The Why.
Upcoming book launch – 18th April 2023: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/671558/like-literally-dude-by-valerie-fridland/